RE: (erielack) Signals - Numbering

A few notes on Erie signal numbering practice as I remember it:

>Regarding signal numbering, my understanding is that:
>
>Signal 277-1 would be the first westward signal between MP 277 and 278.
>Signal 277-2 would be the first eastward signal.
>Signal 277-1B would be the second westward signal between MP 277 and 278.
>Signal 277-2B would be the second eastward signal.

I think the B suffix indicated Buffalo Division or Bergen County Railroad.  The second signal in a mile, in the direction of increasing mileage, would have a suffix of 3, and in the direction of decreasing mileage, would have a suffix of 4.  So in the hypothetical mile 277, westward would be 277-1 and 277-3; eastward would be 277-2 and 277-4.  Signal numbers on the Buffalo Division, at Canaseraga as an example, were 345-2B and 343-1B.

On the four-track section of the New York Division, between WJ and SF, the signals were numbered by milepost (from JC via BJ and Paterson) for the first number; then consecutively within the mile for the second number, odd for westward (increasing miles) and even for eastward (decreasing miles); then track number for the third number.  26-1-1 would be the first westward signal west of m.p. 26 on Track 1, and 26-1-3 would be at the same location for Track 3.  27-2-2 would be the first eastward signal east of m.p. 27 on Track 2, and 27-4-2 would have been the second eastward signal east of m.p. 27 on Track 2.

>>When there were 2 signals within 2 mileposts, example between milepost 81 and 82 on the Cleveland line, EB was 81-1 and next was 81-3.

That was one oddity on the First Subdivision, where the mileposts increased to the east, away from Cleveland.  On the "normal" segments of the Erie, the odd second digit would indicate a westward signal.

>The letter suffix that was found on some signals were second mains off of the Chicago/New York main line.
>B- Buffalo line, number in miles from Jersey City
>M- First sub Cleveland to Pymatuning , number in miles from Cleveland
>C- Columbus and Erie, the line from Niobe Jct to Columbus Jct via Lottsville, numbered in miles from Jersey City
>R- River line, River Jct to Cuba CB. Miles from JC via River Jct.
>G- Graham line?
>I know that there was more out there, please let me know.

The Graham Line signals were numbered by miles from JC via BJ and Paterson, as far as the original end of the Graham Line at FX (Graham) which was a mileage equation with the original Main Line mileage, about a 7 mile difference.  I don't think they carried a G or any other suffix.  The Graham Line signals east of Howells Jct. with an E light in connection with a dragging equipment detector had an E suffix, as on 58-2-E and 55-2-E, and 52-1-E and 54-1-E.  West of Howells Jct., where Tracks 1 and 2 were TCS as far as Otisville Tunnel, and Track 1 was TCS from OV to FX (and BC), the signals carried the track number as the third number, and the E suffix wasn't used (Eastward signal 78-2-2 and westward signal 71-1-1, with E lights protecting Otisville Tunnel).

The Bergen County Railroad signals were numbered by miles from JC, with a B suffix.  As an example, Signals 14-2B and 14-1B at Coalberg Jct. (BT) were telephone train order signals, but the B suffix just indicated that they were on the Bergen County Railroad.

Mileposts re-started a 0 at Salamanca and Marion, but signals were numbered by miles from Jersey City all the way to the west end of the Erie.

Nobody ever accused the Erie of consistancy in their signalling practices.