(erielack) Other EL questions

Listers:

While on the subject of grades, don't forget the
grades on the original main in the Allegany Div.:

Hornell to Tip Top (WB):  1.06%
Cuba Summit (WB - I think?): 1.05%
The EB grade at one of these was also around 1.05%

(Since these are from the depths of my grey matter,
pls. allow +/- 0.02%, as I don't have Vol 5, #1 of
'The Diamond' right at hand to refer to the chart in
the first part of Bill Burt's seminal treatise on the
River Line.  Also the same disclaimer as to not being
able to recall the EB grade location.)

I don't recall the person who posted the reference to
all of the bridges on the Erie (e.g. Starucca, Moodna,
Genesee, Rush Creek, Kinzua, etc.), but I found it
puzzling he didn't mention the reason that two of them
(i.e. Genesee & Rush Cr.) were built was the grades at
Cuba Summit and Tip Top, which were both within 30 -
40 or so miles south of their respective locations.
As Bill's articles discuss, they were built to bring
about operating effeciencies and safety improvements
from grade reduction.

Anyone interested in this geographical part of the
Erie and the history of the River Line or these
viaducts would be well served in reading Bill's
excellent articles in Vol. 5, #1&2 and Vol. 6, #1.

Regards,

Chris