Re: (erielack) DL&W Spark Arrestors

Thanks Bob! That settles it!

Jim Harr

From: Dlw1el2_@_aol.com
Subject: (erielack) DL&W Spark Arrestors

Here's a reply from a friend who worked in the Scranton Diesel Shop, to
whom
I had forwarded Paul's response and the original question.
Bob Bahrs

Bob
Paul's dates seem about right. We tried a few homemade baffle type
arrestors
but had problems with back pressure/heat. We then settled on the  screen

type. (it was steam engine front end netting)

Paul had written:

OK, here's my research based on a few hundred photos: The DL&W  started
installing the spark arrestors starting in late 1957/early 1958. Most
units
had the arched screen held up by what appears to be four thin vertical
posts
at their corners. Several units also had a square-looking type of  spark
arrestor, but these were far less  common.