(erielack) logos

Listers:

A few of my thoughts on this topic:

Being an Erie and EL fan, I am somewhat biased towards
them.  Especially EL, with its white circle in the red
diamond with red lettering inside, it really stood out
on the yellow on the end of EL locos.

I think the Erie diamond over the spread wings is just
simply classic and one of the top logos of all time.
I don't think the transition logo of the early El
years with the EL diamond over the wings worked well
at all and thanks to Wm. White, EL got the diamond
discussed above with the classic GMY paint scheme.

This will probably ruffle a few feathers in this list
community, but my favorite logo of all time is the PRR
red keystone.  Especially on a background of brunswick
green, it stood out and IMO was in it's day, and may
still be, the most instantly recognizable rr embelm.
Yes, Pennsylvania was far to long to place within it,
but the interlocked PRR in gold or yellow (I'm sure
Paul T. knows exactly what color it was) certainly
worked well.  I think it was at it's best with PA
spelled out on a loco in gold in the multi-striped
scheme.  My favorite rolling stock keystone was the
shadow one (esp. on cabeese).

I think it would still fit in today as it did 50, 75
years ago.

As to why the PRR keystone made such an impression is
essetially a chicken or the egg argument.  Is it's
impression so great because of its design?  or because
of the PRR's impact on the industry over the 110 - 120
years or it's existence (i.e. it's presence in the
eastern US (particularly the NE)and the ubiquity of
its rolling stock on the rails all over this country.)

Also on my list, certainly for their instant and
lasting impressions would be the ATSF 'Santa Fe' in
the yellow oval on the front of its warbonnet locos,
both the B&O Capitol Dome and its 'Linking 13 states'
logo.

UP's still has recognition power, but as Paul T. aptly
notes, its sorta stuck in the 1800's and conveys a bit
of a 'Manifest Destiny' attitude or it sort of says
'Wild, Wild, West'.

I also always liked the BN logo with its nested
letters.  While on this theme, I detest the PC mating
worms, whether in all white or the short lived red and
white schemes.

The NYC cigar band logo was a statement of simplicity
and until the road started to sink in the late 50's, a
sign of class and impact it had on the industry.  (I
know this will probably get me a serious round of
flaming, as it was the arch-rival of the Erie's, both
operationally and financially.

D&H's shield was also a classy, recognizable label.

As to our Canadian bretheren, I never cared for the CN
noodle (or the ones from its related lines (e.g.
GTW)),and preferred the maple leaf that preceded it.
CP's current one doesn't do much for me either,
although the recent, but short lived beaver one does
have some appeal.

Anyway, these are some of my thoughts.

Regards,

Chris Thurner