(erielack) Operating U34CH's

Chuck Walsh asked:

> A real arcane question:  Did the locomotive need to be
> completely shut-down
> in order to switch from one mode to another, or could it be
> done in idle?
> I presume there was a safety mechanism to prevent this from
> being switched
> while in actual (notch 8) operation?

From the U34CH Operators Manual:

ENGINE CONTROL SWITCH (EC)

The engine control switch (EC) has four positions, START-STANDBY-PASSENGER RUN-FREIGHT RUN. Functions of the positions are as follows:

START - The switch is in this position for engine starting by depressing the engine start button. When the engine is running and the EC switch is in START position, engine speed is held at idle and power cannot be applied to the locomotive. The power plant is said to be "off the line."

NOTE : The engine start button is effective only when the EC switch is in the START position. When the engine is idling and the locomotive is to be operated, the EC switch must be moved to the desired mode of operation.

STANDBY - This position is used to supply electrical power to the passenger cars when a train is sitting at standstill for longer than a normal time interval. The engine speed increases from idle to an intermediate speed. The locomotive operating controls are ineffective and no power is available for traction.

PASSENGER RUN - This position is used to haul and supply power to the passenger cars. Engine speed automatically increases from idle to full speed. Locomotive controls are operative and power is available for traction.

FREIGHT RUN - This position is used when operating the locomotive in freight service. The auxilary power system to the passenger cars is isolated. Engine speeds can be held at idle or at full speed in notches 1 through 8.

WARNING : IF CHANGING FROM STANDBY TO A RUNNING MODE OF OPERATION, BE SURE THAT AUXILIARY POWER IS OFF, THE THROTTLE HANDLE IS IN IDLE, AND THE REVERSE HANDLE IS IN OFF POSITION BEFORE CHANGING POSITION OF THE ENGINE CONTROL SWITCH.

That last paragraph seems to imply the throttle needs to be in idle and the HEP generator is switched off.