Re:Re: (erielack) FW: DL&W Sleeper Assignment (fwd)

Joe -- I just found this in my outbox, as a draft.  Did I ever send it?

Joe -- remember that, while the Reading and the DL&W bought their respective cars, they leased them back to the new Pullman Company, owned by its member railroads.  Pullman tried to keep them "home"; but they operated them as needs dictated, as witnessed by the replacement by "NYC" cars although NYC had no part in the route.

An email operational question:  are you getting emails from the EL list?  When I reply, I remove the sender's address and add the list address to avoid duplicate messages -- which I get all the time.

Pullman names are a study in themselves.  You mention HOLLISTON.  We have a daughter and family living in Holliston, MA.  Do you know the books by Robert Wayner on consists and names?
Thanks Randy, I will attempt that web sight and  hopefully be able to reach  out to Mr. Walsh.
      On the Interstate Express there was the  RAYMILTON and the OTTAWA which  operated  between Phila and Syracuse from 1926 to 1953. They were both 12 and  1's. In  1948, the Reading bought the OTTAWA and the DL&W bought the  RAYMILTON.  Perhaps the Reading owned car is what Joshua was referring  to.  Although  I understand that most of the Pullmans on the I.E.  were Reading "sponsored  cars"  from the get-go, the DL&W also had a  hand in it.
       There was also a Phila-Scranton  Pullman line on the I.E. It operated  from Jan 1926 to sometime in 1940.  This one had nothing to do with the DL&W.   The service was  cut back to Wilkes-Barre in 1936, and thereafter operated  one way westbound on  the CNJ and one way eastbound on the LV. until 1940. The  two cars in this  operation were the CAMMACK and the HOLLISTON,  both 12 &1's.  All four of these cars mentioned were air-conditioned in 1936.
     In Bill Greenburgs article on the I.E; he  mentiones a car named WILLNAR  as the car on the I.E. on one  particular day, in 1950.  It would have been a  back-up car, while either  the OTTAWA or the RAYMILTON was in the shop,  because these two cars were locked  into this service exclusively, until from 1926  until 1953. That is a very long  time. The WILLNAR was most likely a DL&W car.
     In 1953, the OTTAWA and the RAYMILTON were  replaced by ORCHARD FARM and  ORCHARD LAKE, two  NYC cars, which were of the 8 sec; 5 sbr design. In 1955,  these were replaced by  two NYC CLOVER series cars of the 8 sec; 5 dbr design.  They  remained on until Aug 1957, when sleeper service on the I.E. was  dropped.
    The names of the two CLOVER cars remains a mystery. I  don't know why  that is. There certainly must be shop records or conductors  logs for these cars  somewhere around. Some of the people  who worked at  Huntington Street yard or  even Syracuse Yard, when the cars were serviced,  or trainmen who rode it are  still alive today. Also, I am sure that a  railroad buff somewhere recorded  the car names or maybe even photographed them  while they were on the move ( if  he got up early enough), or in the yard  during the day. Question is, who are  they and where can they be found ? Do they  even know what they have in their  photo collections?
     As for the Philadelphia to Binghamton sleeper on  the I.E., that too  remains a mystery. Unfortunately, it was a long time ago. It  ran from 1926 to  1933. But, I believe that someone has this information  somewhere. The same  applies to the cars of the Williamsporter and the Jersey to  Pottsville sleepers.  They all operated around that same time period.  Unfortunately records and  knowledge of them are scarce.
      Any ideas? Any other people you  recommend I contact ? Please let me  know.
 Joe W.

End of EL List Daily V3 #1724