(erielack) Foreign/Pool Power on EL

Great minds think alike! I have those same locos for my layout.
Other pool power: I've seen photos of Dereco-inspired pooling including N&W
units on ECE/WCE (East and West Coast Expediters) and D&H units, although
the latter weren't necessarily restricted to pool trains. PC units on
Maybrook trains went to Meadville or possibly Marion. Finally, while not
runthroughs, brand new UP and SP units (and possibly others) were placed in
service on the west end enroute to delivery.

Paul Brezicki

> What foreign/pool power was typically seen here in the East
> on the EL and did those connections exist before the merger
> of the Erie and DL&W?? Any and all info would be greatly
> appreciated. Thanks- Ed Barry

I think pooling power became a popular thing in the mid-1960s (I've never
seen a photo of foreign power on the DL&W or Erie). I have seen several
photos of Rock Island units running through to Croxton (and vice versa - EL
units running on the Rock). The RI power was seen during the mid-to-late
1960s. For a period of time around 1970-1972, Burlington Northern (and
predecessor road) power was also seen on the East End (though it was usually
stopped at Port Jervis and turned around, very few made it all the way to
Croxton. Also during the early 1970s, Milwaukee units (GP38's, GP40's
mostly) would run to Croxton. All the run-through power came from the many
Chicago connections the EL had, and it was usually reciprocated. EL units
have appeared in Iowa and Minnesota!

Of course, we can't forget the joint CNJ-EL trains, the ES-99/SE-98 (as well
as the short-lived piggyback train - I think that was NE-100?), which
brought CNJ power to EL rails between Lake Junction (Wharton), NJ and
Scranton, PA.

Of course, that won't prevent my from sneaking in a CB&Q GP30 or some D&H
C628's on my 1975-era layout... ;)

- - Paul