RE: (erielack) Village of Underwood

To view or download the image(s), click on or cut and paste the
following URL into your web browser:

http://lists.railfan.net/listthumb.cgi?erielack-07-22-05

P1010011.jpg (image/jpeg, 1600x1200 462307 bytes, BF: 4.15 ppb)
P1010008.jpg (image/jpeg, 1600x1200 482661 bytes, BF: 3.98 ppb)

Rick,

When we visited the Underwood colliery site we walked in on what I believe
was the original colliery access road. The road had been substantially
widened to support coal stripping and the use of large Euclid dump trucks.
It was a bit difficult to locate the top of the "Rock Slope" portal due to
complete forest growth on the site. Once there several foundations from the
Underwood Colliery were found adjacent to the slope, I will venture a guess
that the large foundation was the wash shanty and the smaller foundation a
lamp house. While we there the skies opened up and we retreated back to the
cars.

Prior to visiting the Underwood site. We visited the "Eddy Tunnel" that was
built to supply anthracite to the Underwood from a remote location. I've
attached two photos.

You are so correct that Scranton is loosing it's industrial past to wrecking
ball.

Brian