Re: (erielack) Steamtown 10th Anniversary

Rick,

Thank you, I didn't know the details on the Scranton master plan.  My
understanding is that ridership levels west of Pocono Summit are a key
sticking point on the proposal to extend rail service to Scranton.  The
dilemma is that all the plans and projection data include ervice to
Scranton, but that the ridership would be so low between Pocono Summit and
Scranton that it would kill the project.  Of course, the obvious reason why
Scranton was included was political.  Maybe with the Montage Mountain
service this becomes more viable, but that would only be a seasonal
business.  It seems to have potential, but we'll need to see if the guys
who crunch the numbers will agree.

Chuck

                      Njricky2_@_aol.com
                      Sent by:
                      erielack-owner_@_list To:     Charles_Walsh@Berlex.com
                      s.elhts.org         cc:     erielack_@_lists.railfan.net
                                                  erielack-owner_@_lists.elhts.org
                                                  portlandturn_@_yahoo.com
                      07/07/2005 02:26 AM Subject:
                      Please respond to           Re: (erielack) Steamtown 10th Anniversary
                      Njricky2

Chuck,

You brought it to the forefornt and we all see what can be. I'm not sure if

anyone is aware of the Scranton "Master Plan" that hinges on the return of
passenger rail service to the largest city in the Pocono region.

Bottom line is this. When service returns, the plan is to construct a
terminal across the street from the present bus station. The terminal will
combine
rail service, intercity bus service, commuter bus service, local buses and
taxis
in one location.

In addition, those who wish to ski will be able to take the train from
NY/NJ
(including Penn Station Manhattan) to Scranton, cross the platform and take
an
Electric City trolley to Montage Mountain. Others who want to ski elsewhere

in the Poconos will be able to take the train to Stroudsburg or Mt. Pocono
and
go to their destinations.

Will this become reality? Yes it will but on one condition. That condition
is
funding and thus far, the elected people have not put the political force
behind what can become a major shot in the arm for those whom they
represent. In
addition, such service will only bring more people to Steamtown.

Let's also not forget the one thing that Amercians love. It's called
convenience. Riding the rails to the Poconos will be much more convenient
than sitting
in I80 traffic as I did this weekend. There was literally a 20-mile back up
from the Delaware Water Gap on the NJ side (and I used to laugh at my
friends
taking the LIE to eastern Long Island on July 4).

Fortunately, the commuter bus driver knew enough to exit the freeway via
the
Portland, PA exit, thus we missed the backup and were only five minutes
late
arriving in Scranton. People will opt for convenience.

The possibilities exist. Steamtown will certainly benefit when people are
able to conveniently go there for skiing, summer fun and find that a unique
piece
of the National Park Service is there for them to experience.

The elected ones must be reminded that we put them in Harrisburg, Trenton,
Albany and Washington.

Rick