Re: (erielack) Steamtown 10th Anniversary

I was at Steamtown yesterday.  The trip to Tobyhanna ran with the ex-NKP geep and a Delaware-Lackawanna RS3.  The CN locomotive had problems on Sunday, running over an hour late down to Tobyhanna.  The crews I talked to yesterday were not sure what was still wrong with it, but it is back in the shop for more analysis and, hoefully repairs.

Personally, I got a kick out of the first generation diesel powered train, but it was obvious a lot of people there were disappointed.  I think the staff did everything possible to have steam for the excursions this weekend, but it didn't happen.  The Scranton Times had a fairly negative article about Steamtown the other day, pointing out that attendance has dropped from 200,000 to 70,000 last year and that this year will be even lower.  The National Park Service is quoted as saying they are in the midst of changing their focus and this is a transition year.  I think it begs the question of what is the purpose of Steamtown and who should decide it.

Ken

Yahoo! Mail