From: T B []
Sent: Wed 3/30/2005 7:41 AM
Subject: FW: The Ghost Train

Ever hear anything  about this ???

  - tim -

- -----Original Message-----
Subject: The Ghost Train

  Did you ever hear the legend of the Abraham Lincoln Ghost Train that was
spotted in the Binghamton area?  Apparently back in the day, Lincoln's body
was taken through all the big cities.  It went thru Philly to New York, and
then thru Buffalo to Chicago to eventually get to Illinois where it was
buried. Looking at my Erie/Lackawanna map on the wall, the oooollld line
from back in the day would have taken the train from New York, through Port
Jervis, and Calicoon, eventually through Binghamton, west on the line
through Johnson City, Endicott, Waverly, Elmira, etc.  A story I read said
there was a cop on duty late one night, and he parked along the tracks, I
believe it was Vestal, as I remember.  Through the mist he saw a train
coming, but the light wasn't the usual bright light.   The engine came out
of the darkness, and it was an old steam engine, draped in bunting, and
there were several old time passenger cars.   In the last car he could see
the coffin in the window.  He thought he was going insane.  He mentioned it
to a friend  who told him it was the anniversary of the night the train came
through there.  That date is coming up. Lincoln was shot April 14th, died
the 15th.  And it would be a matter of a few days until the train rode
through Binghamton.