RE: (erielack)DL&W Diamond and Green Ridge Branches was - DL&W/O& W in Scranton

Chuck,

Last fall I had the opportunity to look over some of the remaining rail
lines in the Scranton  area. The DL operates the Diamond Branch from Bridge
60 to the former D&H freight house on Wyoming Avenue where they service some
local customers. The remainder of the Diamond Branch is out of service. The
out of service Diamond Branch is still intact in many places, but west of
the Lackawanna River it has been largely obliterated by redevelopment of the
area. I believe the Diamond Branch trestle over the Lackawanna River was
removed for a recent flood control project.

The Green Ridge Branch came off of the Diamond Branch after crossing the D&H
and before crossing the Lackawanna River. The Green Ridge Branch then
followed the east bank of Lackawanna River up to and through the Scranton
Lace works. The branch continued to Green Ridge Street where the freight
house was located. The line then forked at Green Ridge street going a short
distance both east and west along Green Ridge Street. When I was there last
fall the line was intact all the way to Scranton Lace, although heavily
overgrown and in places covered by the flood control levy.

Since last fall I have come across some maps that detail these two branches.
Wish I had them last fall to identify the numerous industries and the site
of the freight house on Green Ridge Street.

Brian