RE: (erielack) Lackawanna Diner 470/770 - Urgent appeal

I would like to add to what Paul and John have said.  Five years ago most of us would have assumed that putting together a respectable EL passenger train was not possible.  When you look at the cars ELDCPS has, along with the two John Boehner owns you have such a train.  For me, the dining car was always where the personality of a railroad came through.  When 741 is running on ex-EL trackage people will get to feel what it was like to ride on an EL train.  It is a dimension of historic recreation beyond the railfan world.  We strive to show the EL and railroad dining and travel in the same spirit as Williamsburg portrays our Colonial past.

By purchasing DL&W diner 470 we will be able to preserve and restore a key piece of the only streamliner built for an anthracite railroad.  From a practical point of view the 470 will allow us to seat 68 people at a time for dinner.  In the long run this will allow us the attract groups and work with hotels and resorts that will allow us the kind of revenue stream to keep these cars running into the future.

Our efforts with 741 for funding have been very successful.  I would estimate that we have over 90% of the funding in place to complete the restoration.  None of the money pledged for 741 have been diverted to 470.  The issue right now is to complete the purchase of 470 and move it to a secure location.  Being a Budd built car it is in overall good condition and can then wait its turn to be restored.

This is an opportunity to be a dynamic part of unique approach to historic preservation and re-enactment.  Please consider sending us a tax-deductible donation.

Thanks,
Tim Stuy
Secretary - ELDCPS
www.eldcps.org