Re: (erielack) TIME CHANGE

In the towers, for as long as I remember, we always got eight hours,
straight time, for the Daylight Savings time changes, whether you worked
seven or nine hours.  As far as I know, no operator ever time carded it.

Philip Martin
martinpl3_@_earthlink.net
Why Wait?  Move to EarthLink.

<ELdispatcher_@_aol.com>; <railroaddoug@erols.com>; <lackawanna1@juno.com>
<johnkluge_@_citcom.net>; <OverCrailway@aol.com>; <alfred_runte@email.msn.com>
> Date: 11/9/2003 12:54:36 PM
> Subject: Re: (erielack) TIME CHANGE
>
> Reading Mr Martins post on the time change remiinded me of the fall of
1965
> or so when we turned back the clocks at East Binghamton yard resulting in
> everyone on the afternoon shift engines working 9 hours instead of 8 due
to being
> in the interval when the hour was added to the workday. I, along with
many
> others turned in a timeslip for 8 hours at straight time  plus one hour
at
> overtime acct being on duty in yard service for 9 hours. All these were
duly denied
> ......NO BASIS TO THIS CLAIM. I called the office and asked the crew
dispatcher
> why he'd denied the claim and he advised me that he had nothing to do
with
> it, that the RFE, Sammy Miller, had done it personally & furthermore if
there
> were any questions, I should call his ofice and speak to him about it. I
called
> his office for 3 days in a row several times each day and finally got him
on
> the 4th day. (At this point I must digress to explain that I was really
pissed
> about not beiing able to reach him since he had just given me 5 days off
as
> discipline for missing a call. It's OK for him not to answer the phone,
but if
> YOU don't, I'll torture you to death.)  When he came to the phone, he
explained
> to me that the reason for the denial was that in the Spring, when the
clocks
> moved forward, whoever worked the yard jobs on the DL&W side went home an
hour
> early, so he was 'evening things up now'. I told him that I was working a
> road job in the Spring of the year, but he replied that "Whoever it was
then,
> you're on the job NOW & the denial was legal".
>       After this bit of Kafka-esque reasoning, I decided it was useless
> try & reason with Sammy & I therefore wrote up a claim for 1 hour at
> time-and-one-half since it was improperly denied. I forgot about it afte
a while, but a
> few years later, they had accumulated hundreds of these idiotic claims
and
> after arbitration they were all paid. I also heard that Sammy got a
blistering
> letter from Cleveland for all the problems this caused the Accounting
Dept.