Re: (erielack) Syracuse University DL&W Records Collection

Adding to what Will said,

There is a "finding aid" for some of the glass plate negatives. It is a
hand-typed list and not 100% accurate.  I would say a quick and dirty list
of about 2,500-3,000 negatives.  I've been told that it represents only
about a quarter to a third of the collection they actually have (meaning
they have about 10,000 glass plate negatives).  I do have the listing of
the photographs.

I would love to see the collection better organized and accessible, as I am
sure the people at Syracuse would.  They have limited resources and other
collections with more pressing needs.  If the opportunity presented itself
I would love to assist in making this collection made intellectually
accessible.

Patrick McKnight
Historian, Steamtown NHS

                      William Shultz
                      <wshultz1_@_twcny.rr.co        To:       Schuyler G Larrabee <sgl2@ix.netcom.com>
                      m>                           cc:       Michael Mang <mnmang_@_mn.rr.com>, erielack@lists.railfan.net, (bcc: Pat
                      Sent by:                      McKnight/STEA/NPS)
                      erielack-owner_@_lists.        Subject:  Re: (erielack) Syracuse University DL&W Records Collection
                      railfan.net

                      11/02/2003 03:28 PM
                      EST
                      Please respond to
                      William Shultz

Michael,

Unfortunately, as far as I am aware Schuyler is incorrect about the DL&W
negatives being available on line. THe Erie negatives are though and you
can access them via the URL:

http://libwww.syr.edu/digital/images/e/ErieRailroad/

To the best of my knowledge only about 500 negatives of the DL&W
collection have been cataloged and that only because Bob Bahrs and
another gentleman who's name escapes me, went up to SU several (10?)
years ago under the auspices of the Tri-State chapter and went through
them. There are I believe, approximately 3000 negatives in the
collection which are criminally wasting away. It would be a wonderful
achievement if somehow the Erie Lackawanna and the Anthracite Roads
Historical Societies could work to secure funding in the form of a grant
or grants to have these negatives cataloged and scanned. It is a
treasure that is fading before our very eyes.

Regards,

Will Shultz

Schuyler G Larrabee wrote:

> Many of the ERIE and DL&W photos at Syracuse University are on-line.
From