Re: (erielack) Some more food for thought(2)

I too heard the same thing (about the executive ranks of CR being
predominately ex-PC individuals), but I do recall Conrail laying new welded
rail and replacing ties in early- to mid-'77 on the portion of the EL from
Youngstown west to Akron, in order (I assume) to bring track speeds up for
Trailer Van trains like TV98 and TV77, which were running on the EL from
Akron east...

Interesting to note that the demise of the EL as a through route in '80-'81
seemed to also coordinate with the demise of Mahoning Valley steel mills
in/aroound Youngstown, along with abandonment of the Cleveland Line east of
Aurora, and it wasn't a few years later that the EL main through downtown
Youngstown, through Valley Jct. on the east side (where it crossed the ex'PC,
exxNYC Youngstown Line) up to the present 'new' connection at Youngstown Line
CP52/CP53 in Hubbard, was removed.

Rich Behrendt
ELHS #384