Re:(erielack) VIRGINIA QUESTION

Ed,

Coal?

Randy Brown
I know this is off the topic but I think somebody on the list has the  answer.  It's kind of related -- this is a stretch, because NS now  controls ex EL lines, so here it is.

My daughter is a freshman at James Madison University down in  Harrisonburg, Virginia.  This is still quite a railroad town for being  out in the Shenandoah Valley.  Two lines still serve it.  One is a  former Southern Branch that comes south from Front Royal and  the other is marked on maps as (I believe) Chesapeake Western or  Winchester and Western that makes its way over the mountain to  the old Southern main at Elkton, Va.  In Harrisonburg there are  N&W signs on this ROW all over the place.  I have noticed long  unit trains of hopper cars delivered on this line.  It looks like a lot of  business for a town like Harrisonburg.  The line that runs through  the University property looks like something somebody modelled  with tight curves and heavy grades.  Anybody know what generates  all this traffic?

Thanks.

Ed Montgomery