(erielack) VIRGINIA QUESTION

I know this is off the topic but I think somebody on the list has the
answer.  It's kind of related -- this is a stretch, because NS now
controls ex EL lines, so here it is.

My daughter is a freshman at James Madison University down in
Harrisonburg, Virginia.  This is still quite a railroad town for being
out in the Shenandoah Valley.  Two lines still serve it.  One is a
former Southern Branch that comes south from Front Royal and
the other is marked on maps as (I believe) Chesapeake Western or
Winchester and Western that makes its way over the mountain to
the old Southern main at Elkton, Va.  In Harrisonburg there are
N&W signs on this ROW all over the place.  I have noticed long
unit trains of hopper cars delivered on this line.  It looks like a lot of
business for a town like Harrisonburg.  The line that runs through
the University property looks like something somebody modelled
with tight curves and heavy grades.  Anybody know what generates
all this traffic?

Thanks.

Ed Montgomery