Re: (erielack) PAs

I'm at work, so I don't have Erie Power handy.  However, I do recall seeing
a few photos of commuter trains pulled by single PA's.  Maybe for the NJ & NY?

The comment about being late for Hoboken is quite telling.  When I rode the
E-L as a commuter during the summers of 1968-1970 and then full time from
1970-73, three different lines, I can count on one hand the number of times
that the trains were not at Hoboken or at my station "on the
advertised."  That does not count the times that train #59, the last
westbound to Port Jervis for the day, was held to 6 p.m. during the PATH
strike.  The E-L liked to be on time, and, in my experience, it did an
excellent job of reaching that goal.

Ken B.

At 06:45 AM 3/20/03 -0500, WSmith5957_@_aol.com wrote:

>I was looking over some of the trainsheets I sold & noticed several cses
>where the lesser trains - 15, 40, 10, etc might have a PA mated with a E-8
>where it shows the engine #s at the top of the sheet. So far, I haven't seen
>any PAs running single or together as power, just mated with E-8s.  This is
>1965, & the other thought is...were they GMY by then or some of them still in
>ERIE colors..trainsheet doesn't go into THAT little detail.
>       Reminds me of another tidbit. First time running over somebody was
>firing a PA (#856) for an engineer nicknamed 'Needlenose' Keller. We were E/B
>for Hoboken & just left Ridgewood, N.J. when this man ran in front of us &
>laid on the tracks to commit suicide. After we got stopped, the old engineer
>said to me "You KNOW this will make us late into Hoboken!!". I had to shut
>off the steam from the Elesco boiler & go back & help make the cut. First
>thing I noticed was a shoe with the foot still in it on the firemans' side by
>the 3rd head car. The local cops weren't much help either.
>
>Regards to All
>

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

- ---