(erielack) RE: Rail Fan Safari and Mystery Tours

Tim,

I wrote to Ed Weber about the 1949 Berwick trip (figuring he probably rode
it) and I received the following from him:

"The DL&W fantrip that was supposed to go to Berwick was changed to go to
Binghamton instead because ACF went on strike just before the scheduled
date.  We were to have had a tour of the car shop there.  Instead, the DL
had nicely polished steam locomotives lined up for us to photograph at East
Binghamton.  We also stopped at the Tunkhannock Viaduct on the way toward
Binghamton."

"Paradise was at grade crossing east of the location where there was once
a deep rock cut through the Poconos just east of milepost 100, east of Mount
Pocono station.  The train stopped at milepost 100, where there was a
spectacular view looking east toward Stroudsburg. I have a nice photo of the
train there, and a view also of the gondola at the rear end.  I still have
the advertisement for the trip (I think), and my souvenir ticket. That trip
was diesel powered, but I did buy my goggles on that trip."

Ed is pictured in "Erie Railroad Trackside with Robert F. Collins" book on
page 93 riding a similar fantrip, this time over Starrucca Viaduct.  He is
in that open gondola, front and center, right over the coupler, wearing gray
paints with his hands in his pocket.  Those were some great trips!

Jim Dent
Oakland, NJ