(erielack) Rail Fan Safari and Mystery Tours

When the Lackawanna and the Erie were happily running railfan excursions,=

each had a theme to the advertisements.  On the Lackawanna they were know=
as "Rail Fan Safari" and on the Erie there was a series of trips known as=

the "Erie Mystery Tour" where you didn't know where the trip was going wh=
en
you bought your ticket.

I just picked up a packet for the October 9, 1949 Autumn Rail Camera Safa=
ri
that was to go from Hoboken to Berwick, PA but went to Binghamton as a la=
st
minute change.  The trip was $5!  There was a dining car (Breakfast $1.25=
,
Lunch $1.75, Dinner $2.00), a buffet-lounge car and a gondola(!) as the
last car in the train.  A stop was made at Paradise, PA in the Poconos to=

view and photograph the fall foliage (where is Paradise?).  Since steam w=
as
the power you could buy goggles for 70 cents and a bandana for 40 cents!

The ticket was a special cardstock ticket done up by the Lackawanna with
going and return coupons.  The ones I have were stamped from the DL&W's
office at 3 W. 47th Street in Manhattan.

Someday soon the ELDCPS hopes to be able to run trips and hopefully
recreate some of the aspects of these Safaris and Mystery trips.  Which o=
these trips did some of you listers ride?  When were they and where did
they go?  I think it would be interesting if we could compile a list of t=
he
Erie and DL&W excursions.

Tim