Re: (erielack) ALCO"S

By the time Alco produced the C628s they were pretty much on the ropes,
technically and financially.

The D&H (which was the sole rail connection to the Alco plant) which had
bought nothing but Alcos for years bought C628s. They could not keep them on
the track due to the faulty design of the three point suspension trucks. When
the D&H complained to Alco, they were more or less told "tough".  Hence the D&
H from that point on bought GE locos. The C628s on the D&H were soon
relaghated to pusher and other secondary service.

The LV's expereince was similair. Thye bought some that the Monon returned to
Alco. The LV's chief mechanical officer told me he pleaded with executive
management not to buy the C628s, but the price was right. Further told me
that the first C628 on a train out of Sayre derailed three times before they
got it out of the yard. The LV also soon assigned the C628s to secondary
service.

One of the best decisions the EL ever made was not to buy the C628's. I went
through the Alco plant while they were building C424s and it was really
terrible in terms of organization, etc. They literally were hand building
each loco with little internal wiring standardization, use of fixtures, etc.
They were a good company once but could not keep up in the diesel business.

Like the EL, I think one of the best decision I ever made was to not accept
the Alco job offer when I got out of Penn State in engineering!

Whether a diesel locomotive is 2 or 4 cycle has nothing to do with it's
tractive effort. This is determined by design factors such as locomotive
weight, truck springing arrangement, and the engine horsepower.

Chuck Yungkurth
Boulder CO