RE: (erielack) Food For Thought >> GP 35 demotion?

Tim Costello asked:

> Can you expand upon your point that the GP35s were demoted?
>
> In my experience, mid-70's, east of Binghamton, the GP35s were seen
> frequently mixed with their 6 axle EMD bretheren on through
> trains to and
> from Croxton.  U25Bs were also "common".  Seeing Alco
> Centuries was less
> common.  (Except for pairs of 424s on the auto rack turns to
> Tobyhanna.)

GP35s were still used in road service, yes, but there was a trend in
using them in local service starting in the early 70s (circa 1972 or
so), due to the failure/retirement of RS3s and relocation of GP7s.
Obviously, a good EMD product they were, and so they were least likely
to be seen in local service, but many were in local service at the end
of the EL's life.

> I've held a suspicion that the Centuries were held in
> regional service during
> this time, but haven't been able to confirm that theory thus far.

It seems that this is the case - most of the C424s were based out of
Scranton (a token few worked around Youngstown), while the C425s stayed
on west end freight.

> If anyone has info on specific service for the second generation road
> switchers after arrival of all the big EMD and GE six axle
> power, I'd be
> interested in your observations.

More on this when I have the time... Gotta run! :)

	- P