Re: (erielack) Food For Thought >> GP 35 demotion?

In a message dated 03/16/2003 11:40:22 AM Pacific Standard Time,
paultup_@_optonline.net writes:

> As for EL getting 'em, yeah, I could see that happening. The EL's
> Centuries, though quickly demoted to local work after the arrival of the
> '45s, still were decent power (don't forget, the GP35s were later
> demoted as well).

Paul:

Can you expand upon your point that the GP35s were demoted?

In my experience, mid-70's, east of Binghamton, the GP35s were seen
frequently mixed with their 6 axle EMD bretheren on through trains to and
from Croxton.  U25Bs were also "common".  Seeing Alco Centuries was less
common.  (Except for pairs of 424s on the auto rack turns to Tobyhanna.)

I've held a suspicion that the Centuries were held in regional service during
this time, but haven't been able to confirm that theory thus far.

If anyone has info on specific service for the second generation road
switchers after arrival of all the big EMD and GE six axle power, I'd be
interested in your observations.

Tim Costello