Re: (erielack) Re Erie F-10 2-6-0 pix & paint

<lettering geek mode ON>

> C. Between 1900 to 1921, before the Diamond:
> The photos show new and rebuilt locos simply with "Erie" centered
> on the
> tenders (see page 75 in Carleton's Erie Story, or in Erie Power
> pages 94,
> 226, top of 242).  There appears to be two types of fonts used for
> "Erie,"
> but printed material in "Between the Ocean to the Lakes" appears
> to use a
> form of extended Railroad Roman with small trumpets on the ends of
> the "E"
> and "I" (I know there is another term for that part of the serif
> font).  This
> type font also appears more often.

This extended Roman "ERIE" with emphasized serifs is the same typeface used on the passenger cars, too.

> Early descriptions list the locomotive lettering as "gold,' (Mott,
> 1899,
> Between the Ocean to the Lakes).  Other descriptions around WWI
> list Erie in
> white letters (Carleton, 1988, The Erie Story--or maybe it was
> just WWI and
> URSA).

I know Erie Power shows some engines with what appears to be gold leaf lettering (that "mottled" look to the lettering color that you can see in B&W photos). Later, they switched to that light imitation gold (not dulux!) which was standard to the end of steam. Didn't know about white lettering!

<lettering geek mode OFF>