(erielack) Need Info on Slateford PA Tower Operator

I am looking for any information that the board can
help me with.  I recently aquired a three & one half
inch brass ball that is split in the middle and
threaded and weights two & one half pounds.  No
markings anywhere but was told by the party that I got
it from, it was made or invented by a Oliver Smith, a
towerman in Slateford,PA and was used as a message
ball sometime in the early 1900's.  Has anyone ever
heard of a message ball and if so what was it's use?
Thanks,

Bob Niblick