Re: (erielack) Dearborn Station

03/11

interior of Chicago's Dearborn Station:

Unfortunately, few photos of the interior of that depot have surfaced over
the years.  Of course, many fans stood on the Roosevelt Rd bridge and
photographed the numerous departures, but few ever bothered to take interior
shots.  The best source of some interesting views of the interior can be
found in Hilton's Monon book.  There are two interior shots of the ticket
office and the concession stand/locker areas downstairs and an interior view
of the trainshed (with a Barringer-era Monon trainn visible to one side).
Likewise, there is an artist's rendering of the C&WI's proposed post-WWII
modernization of the terminal -- all very interesting.

Having only been in the station on a couple of occaisions by in the late
1960s, I do not recall alot about the place, except that I seem to recall a
moderized "upper level" waiting room, with windows looking into the train
shed.  If I recall this correctly, this area and the modernized ticket office
and concession stand/locker area were the only post-WWII improvements made
there.

Does anyone have more?

Bill Shapotkin