(erielack) Greenwood Lake Branch

>I found my October 27, 1963 Greenwood Lake--Boonton Line passenger service
>timetable, which included the Caldwell Branch & Sussex Branch trains.  On
>weekdays, the Sussex Branch train originated at Newton and terminated at
>Netcong, where passengers connected with a different train.  Apparently,
>the Sussex Branch train waited at Newton and then left some 12 minutes
>later for Hoboken.  On the return, a train terminated at Netcong at 6:01
>p.m., and then, apparently, was the connecting train that left Netcong for
>Newton at 6:54 p.m.  I'm curious as to why these trains did not run
>through to Hoboken.  Were some switch moves required to get the train onto
>the Sussex Branch track?

This was a pretty busy line at the time.  Some trains went through via the
Lackawanna Boonton Line to Dover, while there was still service up the old
Greenwood Lake Branch to Wanaque-Midvale.

There were connecting trains from Wanaque-Midvale to Mountain View, which
allowed four trains' worth of service to be provided with 3 trains.  I
assume that there was a storage yard at Wanaque-Midvale.  How was the
runaround accomplished at Mountain View for the trains that connected at
Mountain View to go west to Wanaque-Midvale?

Ken

>---
>Incoming mail is certified Virus Free.

- ---