Re: (erielack) XP ServicePack1 Warning

On Fri, 28 Feb 2003, Hank Sundermeyer wrote:

> Sorry for the off topic.
>
> If you choose to d/l an XP update called "Service Pack 1," it will
> without forewarning delete any JAVA capability resident on your
> computer. That means any website you visit that has the simplest JAVA
> applet embedded in its pages will not work.  That includes sites like my
> own, the NWS, the Weather Channel, TV News Networks, etc., etc.
>
> If this weren't enough, it took 2+ hours to setup on my computer and if
> you choose the uninstall capability, it will gobble up at least 1 Gig of
> HD space with no instructions on how to recover that space when
> installed properly.
>
> Yet another travesty perpetrated by the "richest" man in the world and
> his henchmen.
>
> Hank Sundermeyer

This also happens if you install Internet Explorer 6, I found out the hard
way in win2k when I was trying to find out why all of a sudden the weather
channel radar maps no longer worked.

You can restore Java functionality by downloading and installing the Java
Virtual Machine (VM) at http://java.sun.com and I believe the page to get it
from is http://java.sun.com/getjava/download1.html as of 2-28-03. I have been
using it for some time now with no problems.

I believe that M$ deliberately removed their Java VM from IE 6 and XP SP1 in
order to encourage the growth of their competing j++ and VB technologies which
as far as I know only run under the windoze OS unlike Java which is platform
independent.

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.    Blue Moon Internet Corp Network Administrator
www.bluemoon.net       Internet Access & Web Hosting
www.railfan.net        Railfan Network Services