Re: (erielack) Fruit and Erie magazine?

On Wed, 29 May 2002, homo multarum literarum Schuyler G Larrabee wrote:

> Back in them thar days, magazines did a "number" on a topic.  It meant an
> issue devoted to that topic to the exclusion of just about any other topic.
> Today, you'd say the "Cantaloupe Issue."  I think this is the origin of the
> phrase "He really did a number on him!" which you hear bandied about today.

They sure did a number on them thar cantaloupes....I got sick of reading about
them after about 6 pages!

I I was thinking that was the gist of it, but without seeing other issues of
that vintage to put it into context it was just a blind guess.

I have never seen that nomenclature used before and I have read quite a few
early 1900's periodicals and newspapers.

It is interesting how in depth such an obscure subject was covered. I look
forward to seeing what other topics crop up in more of the older issues.

Henry

J. Henry Priebe Jr.       Blue Moon President & Network Administrator
root_@_bluemoon.net         www.bluemoon.net - Blue Moon Internet Corp
V.90, X2 & K56flex        www.railfan.net  - The Railfan Network