Re: (erielack) 1962 Eastern Airlines Subsidy Request

I don't know which is worse, but both are to the detriment of a more
efficient means of transportation than what the railroads' taxes went to
support. Even the local taxes fostered growth of the highway system: better
local roads meant better access to the larger network, which meant more road
vehicles, so of course, more and bigger roads...

As I watch the administration fiddle while starving out Amtrak, yet at the
same time, feed billons to the airline industry, I wonder, what's changed in
40 years? Meanwhile, the roads and airways get more congested. Passenger
rail is not the answer to every transportation need, but a balanced approach
to useful regional rail networks could go a long way. It doesn't have to be
"high speed", as long as it's reasonable speed, and with enough frequency to
be convenient.

Recently, there have been several proposals to get passenger trains to
Binghamton. It's a nice idea, but the reality is that at this point in
history, Binghamton is not a destination people are clamoring to get to(I
smell a weasel deal in the politics of this, but that's another story). At
some point in the next ten years, Scranton will likely have passenger trains
via the Cutoff. While I realize progress is often incremental, it would seem
to me that a more practical and useful approach would be to go for Buffalo,
and connections with the rest of whatever remains of the Amtrak system. The
politics of dealing with three states, the freight roads, the Feds, NIMBYs,
etc., will make this a long term project. Even then, it will take $3/gallon
gas to get people out of their cars, and off all those roads, built with all
that free money from the Feds...

I don't know if we'd have a double track EL with high speed passenger trains
from Hoboken to Chicago, but we'd at least be able to get to Buffalo or NY
City in a reasonable amount of time to connect with another train and then
get back, without having such unpleasantly long connections as to make the
rail option a non starter. On the whole, I have to agree with Henry's
"rant". The transportation picture might look vastly different today had the
heavy hand of government not been tilting the scale against the rail
industry.

Tom B