RE: (erielack) Modeling the handrails

Tony Horn asks:

> Could this be an ELHS project.  Perhaps Smokey Mountain
> Models could make some sets for the Society.  Have always
> wanted these on my EMD switcher models.

I spent a good part of my day yesterday at the local hobby shop, poring through catalogs to find the handrail stanchions and fuel tanks with aftercooler piping.

There is quite a bit of variation in these handrail stanchions:

http://gelwood.railfan.net/loco/dlw560s.jpg
http://gelwood.railfan.net/loco/368.jpg
http://gelwood.railfan.net/loco/erie432.jpg

These units have the upside-down "U"-shaped base. The second image points out that the stanchion itself "bows out" a little above the deck level (for clearance, I suppose?)   These look very familiar, as if they were a stock EMD part or something. Anyone know?

http://gelwood.railfan.net/loco/erie437.jpg

Completely different stanchion that's bolted to the sides of the unit.

http://gelwood.railfan.net/loco/el418g.jpg

Many of the earlier Erie switchers had these more "substantial" stanchions with heavier bases (also note the "bowing outward" aspect again)

These are the main stanchion varieties I've been able to find on EL units. I would love to see these done as lost-wax brass castings! I have not been able to find ANY manufacturer that makes these (or anything remotely close)  I don't think Smokey Valley/Train Station Products does custom work, but Cal-Scale DOES.

Also, referencing this earlier photo:

http://gelwood.railfan.net/loco/dlw560s.jpg

Does anyone make: a) that larger fuel tank with the odd bottom, and/or b) the aftercooler piping? I'm surprised no one does, since many railroads had switchers with these on them!

UGH. To be an EL modeler. ;)