Re: FW: (erielack) New book w/EL content

Warning:  Could be considered off topic, long winded, and/or boring.  Your
delete key is off at the right hand end of your keyboard . . .

George, and others, your comments are quite correct, >after< the railroad is
in operation.  Here in suburban Boston, there's a couple examples of
seriously stupid people at work fighting commuter rail.

On the South Shore, there's a line called the Greenbush line, after the
terminal station's name.  It branches off the other lines south to
Middleboro, Lakeville, and so on.  It runs through the shore towns,
Weymouth, Hingham, and further east.  The rails have been there, unused,
since the last train in the 60's.  On the day that the Southeast Expressway
(Route 3) opened, which also (sort of) serves these towns, a critical river
bridge on the rail line burned (shades of the Poughkeepsie bridge!) and
service was abandoned, to the great relief of the New Haven, on all of these
lines.  Accidentally, of course!

Comes the "Big Dig" project, and among the "mitigation" measures (most of
which are good things) was the reopening of these lines, the idea to cut
highway commuter traffic into downtown Boston during the construction
period, and of course, afterwards too.  Middleboro, Lakeville are done and
open and so heavily patronized that they are standing room only.  Hingham,
on the other hand,  exploded in anger, and balked.  Now, the tracks DO run
>>right next to<< some houses there, and >>directly<< through the downtown
of Hingham, but so what?  The tracks have always been there. Some yards have
two rails running through the grass, flush with the top of the grass.  They
KNOW they are there.  But they think the land's theirs.  The landowners
along the out-of-town parts have fought it, but seem to realize that it is
all over.  Hingham won a battle, that the MBTA will dig a 2000',
$500,000,000 tunnel under downtown (at the expense of the eastern half of
the state, not at the expense of Hingham, of course), but they are still
trying to win the war, i.e., keep the whole line from being built.  And they
are now charging kids in the school system full ticket for any sports
program and fees to use the library at school because they've spent all the
town's money on lawyers . . .

Lakeville, Middleboro, etc have seen house values increase by 150-200% in
5-7 years, mostly due to the commuter rail access.  But they don't quite get
it either.  They voted down proposals to allow denser development around the
stations, which is the historically proven way to generate a "downtown"
which these towns don't really have (Middleboro excepted).  So there's a
single purpose huge parking lot at the station, among the one, two, and five
acre zoned subdivisions . . . and you have to start the car to get a gallon
of milk.

The completed lines are slated to be extended to New Bedford and Fall River.

Eventually, Hinghamites will get the increase in their real estate values,
against their will . . .

Oh, yes, there's the stillborn revivial of the Central Mass branch through
Weston, Wayland . . . no, let's not go there . . . such stupidity is too
depressing . . .

SGL