Re: (erielack) Neat Erie Marine Photo

George Elwood wrote:

> I have seen an old Erie map that indicated that the Erie had a lake boat
> operation out of Chicago. The map is from an Erie Annual report. Note the
> dotted line in Lake Michigan running north. I cut the map to keep the RR
> parts.
>
> http://gelwood.railfan.net/map/erie-west-1914.gif

The Erie did run its own line of lake boats for quite some time.  I don't
recall the dates but I think it began quite early on, maybe before the Erie
got to Chicago by rail.  The line used four white stripes around the ship
funnels as a marker of ownership.  Clearly this was before the Diamond
became the RR's symbol.

I would greatly welcome information from someone more (much more!!) informed
than I.

SGL