RE: (erielack) Further delay to Montclair (NJ) Connection

The current Boonton Line timetable (1/13/02) shows 11 inbound trains (3
starting at Montclair Heights) and 15 outbound trains (3 ending at
Montclair Heights) for a total of 26.  The imbalance is handled by having
three Morristown Line trains use diesel sets returning to Hoboken in the
evening, for example train 664 leaves Dover at 5:22pm using the equipment
from train 1001.  It's in Hoboken at 6:46 for a later run (I think as
train 1011).  There is also one empty move eastbound in the evening, the
return of train 1009 as X62 leaving Dover at 6:50.  It is often early
since 1009 is allowed to run 5 minutes ahead of schedule.

To make the 11 train reduction, here's what happens:

First, the three existing Montclair Heights turns will be replaced with
electric sets.  That's 6 with absolutely no impact on service.

Second, the morning schedule has 5 'skip stop' trains at 15 minute spacing
and another 30 minutes later.  These 6 trains will become 3 trains on 30
minute headway.  They will make all stops through Montclair Heights, then
Newark Broad Street and Hoboken ONLY.  Trip time should be shorter.  Three
more...

Last, two late night trains (probably the 9:45 and 11:15) would become
shuttle trains between Montclair Heights and points west, with decent
connections from both New York and Hoboken.  Before anyone starts flaming
me, think about how many people are on those trains and where they get
off.  If there are enough people on these trains -combined- west of Great
Notch to fill ONE car, I'd be very surprised.

An alternative is having the 1:47 train to Hackettstown originate at
Montclair Heights, and then only one of the late runs would have to be
cut.

The good news is is that the shuttle train may run during the day between
Montclair Heights and Denville, frequency to be determined.  One train set
could provide service every other hour without switching at either end or
passing another train.  It's 37 minutes between the two stations, leaving
23 minutes for a leisurely turnaround at each end.  That could build
midday demand (especially for Montclair State students from the west) to
justify HOURLY service, which would require two trainsets passing at
Lincoln Park (if the siding gets restored to service).

- --- James Dent / NYKGN <james.dent_@_itochu.com> asks:
> The article mentions that NJ Transit will cut the number of trains on
> the Boonton line from 26 to 15.  Does this actually reflect a cut in
> service west of Bay St. Montclair or will Montclair branch trains (that
> may continue on to Great Notch on the new connection) make up for the 11
> trains cut on the Boonton Line?

1016014217287686.xml

=====
Gary R. Kazin