Date: Fri, 1 Mar 2002 16:13:22 EST
From: WDixon3797_@_aol.com
To: WNYHistory_@_lists.Buffalonian.com
Subject: Re: (wnyhistory) Driving Park

And in the fifties we always hopped trains where Shoshone Park backed up to
Tacoma and Taunton.The biggest fears we faced were from railroad dicks who
would always chase you on those rare occasions when they saw you(and slap you
around and warn you and let you go) and what we called "hobos",of which there
were quite a few who lived in hobo camps in the woods in Shoshone Park.As a
youngster in the early 50's I was scared of the hobos ,as were all my
cohorts,because they were grown up,big,wore dirty clothes,and threw things
and tried to catch you if they saw you "spying"on their camp in the Shoshone
woods.

Many of those who lived on Taunton had regular visits from the men who rode
the rails who would literally offer to wash your windows or rake your leaves
or the like for something to eat.And we regularly saw a chalk or crayon-like
mark on the curb in front of those houses on Taunton where the occupant was
usually good for a sandwich in return for work.These marks on the curb by the
men of the road in front of homes  where the missus didn't immediately call
the police when you approached the home,of course,became the basis for the
idiomatic term that someone was "an easy mark"

Many of us from the North Buffalo area stopped hopping trains from Shoshone
in the middle '50's not because we discovered girls,but because there were
two accidents in a single summer where two different train hoppers slipped
under the wheels on the elevated grade and one had his arm amputated and the
other a part of his leg, and for those who didn't see the accidents we all
talked about the railroad dick walking the tracks  with the severed arm in a
clear plastic bag looking,presumably,for other body parts.We went back to
jumping on the back of the dozens of Hall Bakery trucks returning to the
bakery in the afternoon via a route which made them stop at a stop sign at
Parker and Tacoma where we jumped on,and in the winter to pogeying at "five
corners" at Voorhees and Tacoma.To us it somehow seemed less dangerous.
Visit http://www.Buffalonian.com - The "not com" of WNY History!