(erielack) comments on Rich Young's "early Erie" photos

First, let me comment that I appreciate the way Henry's list presents these
photos, with the black background.  This enhances the photos and makes them
easier to look at.  Thanks.

Now, comments on:

477
http://www.railfan.net/cgi-bin/listphoto.cgi?/lists/erielack-photo/erielack-
02-28-02/Erie477.jpg
582
http://www.railfan.net/cgi-bin/listphoto.cgi?/lists/erielack-photo/erielack-
02-28-02/Erie582.jpg
2503
http://www.railfan.net/cgi-bin/listphoto.cgi?/lists/erielack-photo/erielack-
02-28-02/Erie2503.jpg

I'm speculating a little, but these three might be at Susquehanna, though
the hills don't look quite high enough.  The shops there did substantial
rebuilds as a matter of course, and they documented them in "(Re)Builder's
Photos," of which I have a couple.  I think that might be what we're seeing
here.  The passenger cars in the background of some of these would be
because the Erie had a passenger car shop there.

OTOH . . . these shots also bear a similarity WRT to the hills to the shot
showing the NJ&NY engine  That shot is:
http://www.railfan.net/cgi-bin/listphoto.cgi?/lists/erielack-photo/erielack-
02-28-02/Erie12nj_ny.jpg
But there's not much to go on there . . .

2600
http://www.railfan.net/cgi-bin/listphoto.cgi?/lists/erielack-photo/erielack-
02-28-02/Erie2600.jpg
This is another "(Re)Builder's photo."  These engines were built as
0-8-8-0's (camelback) and were rebuilt by Baldwin.  This is one of a very
few views of these engines post-reconstruction.

http://www.railfan.net/cgi-bin/listphoto.cgi?/lists/erielack-photo/erielack-
02-28-02/Erie1603.jpg
1603  A later image of Erie steam, traveling with a "cistern" back there.
Some areas on the west end had less-than-terrific water, and in later years
especially, tenders from retired locomotives were connected up as cisterns
to cut down on trips to the "faucet."

SGL

End of EL List Daily V3 #484