Re: (erielack) More on rust...

Paul:
<<<Here's another thought - if this is wind-blown dust, and these units
ran primarily long-hood-forward, the wind while out on the road would
keep the rust off the long hood, but the swirling reverse currents on
the back of the cab might put the dust onto the short hood end...?>>>

Lon:
It's wind blown, but it isn't dust. :~)
We had this discussion on another list. The CR yard engines have a
uniform heavy rust only on top surfaces,
This is funny that you guys are seeing it on EL units on the short hood
end.

A fascinating theory was devoloped on our CR list. It is the effects of
a weak sulfuric acid from the exhaust "fallout" on the loco top. The
same thing that causes acid rain.
Sulfur in exhaust mixes w/ rain to produce weak acidic mix, hence
corroding sheet steel quicker.
The CR yard locos noted (SD38's mostly) are drag engines, they travel
slow in both directions, hence even top corrosion.
The EL units noted, mostly traveled long hood fwd, hence short end
corrosion.

Any thoughts?

Lon

End of EL List Daily V3 #483