(erielack) HO 2-10-0 Specturm operations

Dear List:

Paul has given a previous review of this model, but not its operation.
Maybe I missed it, but I did not see an operating report on this steam
engine.  The following is an operation report based on this past Tuesday
evening session with the Helena Modular Railroad Group at the Montana Central
Railroad (of Art Taylor's). We ran my Bauchman Spectrum Erie 2-10-0 through
its paces right out of the box.

Short story--the locomotive ran and pulled nicely, and is a great locomotive
for a 1920s to early 1940s era Erie or NYSW (1949) layout. (Or in my case for
the shows, anytime.) Long story follows.

The front coupler was the correct NRMA height, but the rear coupler was half
a knuckle high.  (We made a note to replace the coupler with a KADEE--the
Group's standard). A coupler this high would produce problems on hills that
did not have vertical transition curves.  It was not a problem on the test
layout.

Slow start for the locomotive was just a hair over 4 volts--the locomotive
would move freely at 4.3 volts passing easily through a crossover of paired
No. 4 switchers without problems at that voltage.

The locomotive model impressively moved 32 NMRA-weighted freight cars on
level track (7 50-foot, 3 60-foot, two brass (a 36-foot covered hopper and
the caboose), 4 34-foot, and the rest 40-foot) around 25-inch radius curves.

The hills were another matter. The locomotive was able to pull only 18 cars
(one brass) up a 2.4 percent grade around a 30-inch curve--another 40-foot
car would have it stall about 3/4 of the way up.  The locomotive backed up
that same grade and radius (2.4 percent, 30-inch radius) with 20 cars, 2 of
them brass, before slipping excessively.  None in the group could give a good
reason  why the locomotive backs up more cars than it can haul forward.  The
locomotive was pretty well balanced over the drivers front to back (using the
soup can test).

The curves and grade were surveyed (the owner of the Montana Central is a
licensed Civil Engineer) complete with vertical and lateral transition curves
just like on the prototype.

Top speed was not recorded, but reasonable for a show locomotive.  It is not
for your crack Lackawanna or Erie Limited passenger trains, but then, hauling
commuter Stillwell's on my layout is what it might be doing, and at a proper
pace.

The locomotive ran nicely with a number of brass and plastic steam and diesel
locomotives. It looked nice, too, and went with many of the Great Northern,
Milwaukee, and Northern Pacific steam locos owned by the members. Too bad I
do not make any commission--five of the observers now have orders for I think
seven more, and they liked the Erie with the big, bald face (hurrah, on these
western roads!).

The Spectrum 2-10-0 tested was the Erie #2461 version that had the original
high-headlight all its life, as far as I can tell from photos.  It has the
same coal load as the Bauchman Shay. The headlight was dim compared to some
of the more modern LEDs. Running in a darkened room, the headlight gave a
yellow cast to the surroundings as if it were an oil lamp.  The sound system
(supplied by the owner) really made the scene seem like it was from days long
gone.

The most difficult part of operating this locomotive for me was to properly
insert the keyed plugs into the tender correctly. I am legally blind, and
getting them in correctly is tough on the eyes. I think I can fix that by
painting the top and sides of the plug grimy black, leaving the (difficult to
see) underside yellow, thereby giving these eyes a color guide.  Unplugging
them was easy using a tweezers to press in the lock pin.

I have not looked to see if I could add weight to increase traction, but I
plan on getting a center-headlight version and/or NYSW version so it can be
double-headed.  I really like the white tire rims, and painting them would be
(for me) a pain, especially removing all the detailed piping.

With the 40x12-foot modular layout level, the pair of Decapods should pull a
pretty good train and be a great attraction at the Helena Railroad Fair
coming up in April.  Now for the want of a proper caboose (since someone has
already made neat decals for the wood hacks that were pulled by these hogs).

Please excuse this message If someone else has provided operating
information.  I could not find an operating review easily in the model press,
and I find their results are not always consistent (except in the old Model
Railroading or is it Model Railroad Journal?)

Howard Haines
ELHS #1447

End of EL List Daily V3 #482