Re: (erielack) EL Box Car

Bill,

         Thanks for the note.    Please let me speak for what we are
looking for which did not come across in Dave's note which he sent out
after I sent him a direct, more detailed inquiry.

         While there are cars near us which we hope we might be able to
preserve someday, all of these cars are heavy restoration projects since
the trucks are missing on all of them, the Erie car has been modified
(garage door in one end) and has been sitting in the mud for years, and the
LV's need all of their wood replaced amongst other things.  Not to mention
they all need to be lifted and trucked to our site.   It will take many
hours and many dollars to get any of these car into a shape where would be
presentable inside and out to the visiting public and we don't have that
kind of time for this specific and immediate need.

         What we are looking for currently is a 40' to 50' boxcar (EL
heritage would be nice, but actually not required) to house a new display
our museum would like to put on in 2003 called "Farm to Market".   Since
our museum has very little display room in our Erie depot, we must use
railroad cars to house our displays.   Currently, none of our cars will fit
the space requirements of what we want to do with this display or they are
already in use for other purposes(displays/storage/shops).   Thus, a 50'
boxcar gives us just what we want.

         We have so much to do just to get the interior of the new car
ready for this display which will show the relationship between railroads
and the development of agriculture in Upstate New York by demonstrating the
shipping and handling of various farm produce items (hay, dry beans,
apples, and milk) in the late-19th and early-20th century that we don't
have a lot of time for heavy restoration.     We plan to have both props
(bales of hay, bags of dry beans, milk cans), photos, documents and more as
part of this display which is why we need the size of boxcar.

         So we really need a car which is in good enough condition to be
shipped by rail on its own wheels and in a condition where we may only have
to do minor cosmetic repairs and a repaint inside and out.   Then we can
add the power, lighting, and sets needed for the display followed by the
actual display materials which would be added just prior to the display's
opening in 2003.

         So, I hope that clears things up a little.   My apologies for the
confusion.      I welcome any leads on boxcars that might match our needs
above AND I do appreciate the leads to the historic EL/Erie/DL&W boxcars
that still exist since we would love to preserve some of them as well in
the longer term.     I am actually working on a couple of leads now in
parallel with this effort since I really want to add a boxcar of Erie, EL
or DL&W to our collection.

         Thanks again, please let me know if anyone has any questions, and
keep those leads coming!

Until later,
Chris Hauf
Rochester & Genesee Valley RR Museum