RE: (erielack) Pronunciation-crazy :)

> BTW, Tonelle Avenue is actually Route 1-9 in Jersey City and Hoboken,
> runs through Union City, North Bergen, and turns into Broad Street in
> Fairview. If that's not a main drag, I don't know what is.  Bergen
> Boulevard (unhappily renamed Kennedy Boulevard in Bayonne and Jersey
> City) remains Bergen Boulevard in Fairview, Cliffside Park, Leonia
> and Fort Lee and parallels Route 1-9 until it then joins Rte. 1-9
> just south of I-80.

Tonnelle Ave does not go through Hoboken.  Hoboken ends at the foot of the
Palisades below Christ Hospital in Jersey City.  Tonnelle Ave (Rts 1 & 9)
runs N/S at the opposite (west) side of JC, skirting the border of the
Meadowlands.  This is why I wouldn't consider it a main drag but a "bypass".
It doesn't go through the "downtown" or business sections of JC but throught
the industrial section.  Don't believe Union City goes far enuf west to hit
Tonnelle either.  From JC it goes into North Bergen.  Those small cities
(Union, Guttenberg, etc) are all too far east along the Hudson for Tonnelle
to go thru them.

> Paterson Plank Road (yes, at one time it was built of wooden planks)
> crosses under Route 1-9 and goes past the Croxton yard (EL content
> test passed) and past the Meadowland Complex into East Rutherford
> where it crosses over the NJ & NY RR (more EL content...).  Paterson
> Plank Road was built to access many railroad facitiies in the
> Secaucus meadows and was, in early 1900's, a major route to Jersey
> City and Hoboken.

The section in Carstadt/East Rutherford is separate from Secaucus.  I
presume that sometime before Rt 3 was built, there was a bridge that spanned
the river.  Also, Paterson Plank Road is too far north to hit Croxton (it's
up by Rt 3 and Harmon Cove).  County Road is the road that runs along the
yard.