RE: (erielack) What Locals Called the Railroads

Also, she may have referred to it as NJT, as it has been the RR for the last
20 years there.  Probably the longest stretch of any during her lifetime.
Let's look

	Born, say 1950 - 52.

	Erie 50 - 60 	8 - 10 years (Also, remember she probably didn't
recognize the Erie until she was 4 or 5.)
	EL   60 - 76	16 years (See comments below)
	CR  76 - 82	  6 years (I think.  I'm not sure 82 is correct, but
even if its 81 or 83 its only in the 5 - 7 yr range.)
	NJT 82 - 02	20 years

However, you would think that for the 16 years the EL was there she would
have remembered it.  But 2 mitigating factors, one: she may have been in
college or graduate school in the late sixties through early 70's (i.e. in
68 she would have been 18, 72 - 22, grad school after that), also, two:
since the mid 60's or so, the EL, along with the other commuter lines in NJ
were de-emphasizing their commuter ops and trying to get the NJ Dept. of
Trans. to absorb more costs and take over more operations (e.g. the U34CH
'bluebird' scheme that emphasized the NJ Dept. of Trans, and had only a EL
logo on the nose.  My guess is if she remembered these trains, she would be
far more likely to say these were NJ Dept. of Trans, not EL).

Well.  My $0.02.

Regards,

Chris