Re: (erielack) PA's on the Northern & elsewhere

Dear Howard and Group,

Hhaines_@_aol.com wrote:
> An early EL roster shows all remaining Erie F3 800s
> are listed as freight units without steam generators in Larry DeYoung's 1997
> Erie Lackawanna In Color, Volume 4, The Early Years.  The Erie 800 series
> F-3s did not have dynamic braking, meaning they would have been assigned
> largely to the west end.

Interesting re: the fate of the Erie F3s.  However, (and I'm sure
someone will correct me if I'm wrong), the Lackawanna passenger F3s
continued to run on secondary trains (e.g. Washington - Old Main) until
those trains were discontinued.

> I stated earlier that both PA-1s and F-3s carried the long distance trains
> for Erie from the time the PAs arrived (1949) until the E-8s started to
> arrive (January 1951). I am not sure what you mean by secondary trains.

By "secondary trains," I meant exactly what you said in a subsequent
paragraph: Erie trains to Port Jervis and Binghamton, and after the
merger,  The Pocono Express, The Scrantonian, etc., which had been cut
back from their previous DL&W destinations to become, essentially,
Hoboken-Scranton locals.

> Both Staufer in Erie Power and Carleton in The Erie Story indicated that a
> single PA was favored power for the long distance commuter runs from Jersey
> City to Port Jervis, Suffern, and Binghamton New York including trains #26,
> #27, #56, and #1169 (listed as photo evidence).

So... other than occasions when a PA was paired with an E8... was there
ever a time when back-to-back PAs were the *regularly-assigned* power
for the Erie Limited, Lake Cities, Atlantic / Pacific Express, Southern
Tier Express, etc.?

Cheers,
Alan <quahog_@_sprint.ca>