(erielack) re: True colors

Al and list --

IMHO, true colors are impossible!  I have a slide of three late model hoods waiting for a train which shows three "mar-red" bands in three different shades and three different widths.

Only you can see colors the way you see them; I see them the way I see them.  If looking at slides: new paint or faded? Bright sun or overcast?  Winter, with snow reflecting sideways, or summer, with green absorbing everything else?  Kodachrome, Ektachrome, Fujichrome, Ansco-ickk!?

If looking at models: is the light incandescent or flourescent?  Warm, cool or the new kitchen and bath?  Or a mixture?

If looking at color photos of models:  ALL OF THE ABOVE!  Pictures I have seen of, say, Harold's Delaware Division show variations in color, but the trains run anyway.

My view:  make yourself happy.  Don't worry about 2 drops of red in a bottle of yellow -- unless that makes you happy!  If it does, then go for it!  I belong to the paint'em and run'em school -- that's why I prefer the B/Y.  Black is so easy: there's only Black, Engine Black, Weathered Black. Grimy Black, Steam Locomotive Black, Warm Black, PRR Black, Greasy Black -- all of which show up better with a touch of white to make them grey.  Or gray.  I hold that grEy is bluish, while grAy has a yellow cast -- but that's just me.

By the way, does that yellow seem a little . . . what?  Too . . . I don't know . . . maybe a little more . . . Ooops!  Gotta go -- train time!

Randy Brown