Re: (erielack) Erie PAs on the Northern Branch

- --- A Samostie <quahog_@_sprint.ca> wrote:
> 3) Did some (or all) Northern Branch trains stop at Susquehanna
> Transfer, or was that only a stop for NYSW trains?  What about North
> Bergen?

A friend lent me some old EL timetables last Monday; one is the 12151965
Northern Branch timetable.  Three trips were run each way, with the middle
one stopping at Susquehanna Transfer in each direction, inbound at 8:08am
and outbound at 6:04pm.  These trains ran to Sparkill.

Interestingly, the drawing on the cover shows the midtown skyline from the
EAST RIVER, with the UN and Empire State building identifiable...

> My understanding is that the platform at the Transfer was actually
> between the two Northern tracks... apparently the NYSW and Northern were
> operated as a single 4-track railroad between Pavonia and the point
> where they diverged (Granton Jct.)?

I believe both lines were single tracked by that time, so the platform was
between the NYSW and the EL.

=====
Gary R. Kazin
DL&W Milepost R35.7