Re: (erielack) SDP45 Brakewheel Notch

I suspect handbrake location/style was primarily a buyer option.  For
example, B&O ordered SD40's with a brakewheel on the rear of the long hood,
which became a spotting feature for the 8 units which ended up on Conrail
via the CNJ.      A handbrake is a fairly simple part and doesn't take up a
lot of space.   So why the differences?

 - economy perphaps.   Taking what EMD offers rather than specifying
something else to add to the cost further.

- - feedback from crews/practicality.  It's certainly easier for them to get
to a brake on the nose of the unit, particularly in winter conditions.

- - different opinions of the people in charge of ordering locomotives (a
cheif mechanical officer?).

- - Dereco specified equipment options (this seems unlikely as both Dereco and
pure EL units have the same handbrakes by model)

I wonder if that HELM GP39 leaser that they put the cab from one of the
SDP45's on, has the notch nose brake wheel, or a more conventional
arrangement.    (this was a Boise Loco/MK rebuild of a former Kenecott
Copper unit that had been built with an extra tall cab.. needing a
conventional cab/nose, they pulled one from an EL unit in the backlot, and
saved the fabricating).

Bill K.