RE: (erielack) SDP45 Brakewheel Notch

> The EL SDP45s had a notch cut into the fireman's side of the
> nose for the brakewheel.  My question is, why did the EL opt
> for this arrangement, rather than a brake lever (most common
> on second generation
> EMDs) or a brakewheel mounted on the side of the nose without
> a cutout (common on GE units)?
>
> Cheers,
> Alan <quahog_@_sprint.ca>

Another good question! The EL specified the brakewheel on its SD45s and
SDP45s (but not on the SD45-2's - wonder if that wasn't an option anymore?)

Also note that the GE's brakewheels were on the "blind" (i.e., no door) side
of the cab. The notch was obviously so the crewmembers wouldn't hit the
wheel as they walked into the cab. The SD45 wheels were inset into the rear
of the hood on the walkway side - perhaps the lengthening of the units
forced the brakewheel to the front (as on the SD45-2's?)

Ah, but the SP's "true" SDP45's (the ones with steam generators) also had
the brakewheel in the nose:

http://gelwood.railfan.net/other/sp/sp3205.jpg

In this case, it might not have been able to be put in the back like the
SD45's, and they just carried this engineering detail over to the EL models?