Re: (erielack) DL&W E8 horns

Dear Bob and Group,

The topic of horns came up awhile back, and I'm glad it has been
revived.  Were the 1959 horn specifications different from the as-built
equipment?

I recently viewed the Mark I Videos "Lackawanna Diesels" and "The Phoebe
Snow" for the first time.  I noticed two very different horn sounds from
the E8s -- one was melodic and high-pitched, the other less shrill and
not as "rich" a chord sound; perhaps these were just "short toots" with
the horn valves only partially open.  I'll need to watch the videos
again and listen more carefully to see if there was a difference in horn
sound between pre-merger and post-merger DL&W E8s, as well as between
Erie and DL&W E8s.

The DL&W freight F3s definitely had a flat "blat" horn... not sure about
the passenger F3s.  No PA or Train Master horn sounds on the video,
unfortunately.

Cheers,
Alan <quahog_@_sprint.ca>