(erielack) request for modeling recomendations

I have two projects that I need help with;

1. I have a five car set of Athern Erie 34' offset hoppers (05579) that I
would like to detail and correct their paint so that they would be correct
for 1930-1935.  Can anyone recommend the best way to remove the factory
paint (spot fix vs. remove all lettering) and what thinner to use as my
understanding is that different paint manufacturers use different resins and
solvents and they are not necessarily compatible (per Jeff Wilson in
Painting and Weathering Railroad Models from Kalmbach page 8.)  The set has
both large and small heralds.  My best guess is that the small ones are
correct.  Also, where could I find the appropriate lettering to apply
(either decal or dry transfer?)

2. Once I have a little experience, I would like to letter an unlettered
Proto 2000 USRA 0-8-0 (23296) that I recently found at a local shop.  As
best as I can tell, it matches number 132 in Westing's Erie Power on page
70.  Any recommendations on obtaining the appropriate lettering and its
application would be appreciated.

Thanks for your time,
Dan Johnson
former Jamestownian