Re: (erielack) Erie Split Mains

From my reading, it appears that the reasoning behind the split mains was in
order to reduce the prevailing grades for each direction, in order to ease
the passage of trains. I don't know of any structures (other than signal
masts) located between the mains. Still, I seem to recall reading that there
was a section near Akron, Indiana, where the east and westbound mains
switched sides, crossing over each other by a bridge (I've not been able to
confirm this by track plan). The grade separations were at:

MP:                 Location:
808-811             Between Wren, OH and Decatur, IN
866-876             Between Laketon, IN and Akron, IN
951-957             Between Crown Point, IN and Griffith, IN

The counties in question were Wabash and Pulaski counties, in Indiana. Their
RR property taxes were rather...predatory, and the Erie decided to reduce
the property that was contained in those areas. So, single track and closed
depots followed.

Michael Dye ELHS #1516